Being involved in any type of road traffic accident is never a pleasant experience, but when the other driver leaves the scene of the accident without exchanging details, it can make an already difficult situation much worse.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 states that a driver must stop and give his name and address if the accident has caused personal injury or damage.  When they do not do this, it is possible to claim compensation where you have been injured as a result of a hit and run, whether this be as a driver or passenger in another vehicle or as a pedestrian against the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB).

What is the MIB?

Motor Insurer’s Bureau (the MIB) is a government body which is in place to compensate those who have been involved in accidents with untraced or uninsured drivers.

Claims against the MIB can be made where the driver of the offending vehicle is either untraced (they have left the scene of the accident without providing any details) or is uninsured.

What to do if you’ve been involved in a hit and run:

  1. Seek medical attention

First and foremost, if you have been seriously injured you should get medical help, whether that be by ambulance or a trip to A&E.

  1. Report the accident to the police

Make sure to obtain a police reference number and details of the police officer assisting.

  1. Take photographs

If it is possible, take photographs of the damage that has been caused to your vehicle and photographs of the scene of the accident if it is safe to do so.

  1. Note down the registration of the offending car, if possible

Sometimes this is not always possible in a hit and run situation but if it is, make sure to keep a note of the registration number and the make and model of the vehicle.

  1. Get details of any witnesses

Obtain their name and contact details to ensure they can be contacted to corroborate your version of events if necessary.

Hit and run accident – What can I claim for?

In any claim for personal injury following an accident, there are a variety of things you can claim for, including: –

  • Injuries (physical and psychological)
  • Damage to your vehicle
  • Loss of earnings
  • Care and assistance
  • Medication expenses
  • Rehabilitation expenses (such as physiotherapy)
  • Future loss of earnings, if you are unable to work or have to worked at a reduced capacity in the future

Lastly, if you wish to make a claim you should seek legal advice from personal injury specialists. Remember, it is your choice who you choose to represent you. You should not feel obliged to use a solicitor nominated for you by an insurance company or by a Trade Union.

At Farleys, we operate the majority of our cases on a ‘No Win No Fee’ agreement.

If you or a friend/family member has been injured in a ‘hit and run’ accident and it wasn’t your fault, contact one of our experienced team for a no obligation assessment of your case. Call us today on 0845 287 0939, contact us by email, or use the online chat below.