Being involved in a Road Traffic Accident is traumatic enough, but then find out that the offending vehicle has no insurance further hinders the problem. Many think that that is the end of the road, but it’s not. That’s where we come in with the advice to guide you through the process.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) was set up in 1946 as a means of compensating victims of accidents caused by drivers who either weren’t insured or can’t be found. The MIB is funded by all UK motor insurers through policy premiums. It’s estimated that up to £30 of each insured driver’s annual policy premium’s now being contributed this fund.

The MIB deals with claims under two Agreements – the Untraced Drivers Agreement and the Uninsured Drivers Agreement. Both are in place to compensate a Claimant who has been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver or a driver that can’t be traced.

The very first step you should take following the accident is to report the matter to the Police, do keep a note of the Police Log Reference provided as this will assist the MIB in their enquiries.

It is then vital to seek medical attention if you have sustained personal injury. Report the matter to your GP or go to the Hospital to have your injuries checked out by a medical professional. Do keep a note of any ongoing problems and associated losses, such as Loss of Earnings and the like.

As much as the MIB will try to assist and deal with your claim, there are certain circumstances where they may decline to deal, hence the importance of seeking the correct legal advice.

Here at Farleys, we have dealt with many, many claims with successful outcomes under both the MIB agreements. Do not hesitate to contact one of our experienced team today for specialist advice on 0845 287 0939 or by email through our online enquiry form.