A recent inquest into the death of a 14 year old girl who tragically died in May 2012 whilst camping with her family in Bucknell, South Shropshire, found that she had died of carbon monoxide poisoning whilst she slept.
Hannah Jones died after a used barbecue was moved into the porch of the tent overnight to prevent an accidental fire. The toxic gases pooled in the part of the tent where she was sleeping.
Hannah’s family, who were staying at the Baron Campsite in Bucknell, Shropshire, were found unconscious and subsequently received treatment for the effects of their exposure. Hannah, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
A reconstruction of the scene was carried out by Shaun Baker, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service. He discovered that the difference between Hannah and her family was her sleeping position, as she was sleeping head-toe with her brother and her head was at a narrow part of the tent where there was less air and the gases had pooled. Mr Baker stated that the levels of carbon monoxide at this part the tent would have fatal after about three hours of exposure.
At the inquest in Wem, Shropshire, Coroner John Ellery stated; “Those vapors went to the top of the tent and probably found their way down to the far end, where tragically Hannah’s head was.”
Her step father stated that the barbecue was no longer alight and had ‘gone down’ by the time they brought it into the tent and described it as merely providing a source of heat.
The Inquest returned a verdict of accidental death. The Coroner stated that sadly, by taking a precaution against accidental fire by bringing the used barbecue in, the family was unaware that the poisonous gases were pooling within the tent. He concluded by expressing that he hoped that Hannah’s tragic death would raise awareness of the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.
To speak to a solicitor about the inquest process or for initial advice about obtaining legal representation for an inquest hearing, do not hesitate to contact us for a free of charge conversation.
Contact Us TodayWe're here to help.
Call us on 0845 050 1958