The government has faced pressure to help low-paid workers, who are among the worst hit by the pandemic…and it seems that pressure has succeeded.

Workers on the minimum wage are set for a pay boost from 1st April 2022, with the rate for those aged over 23 rising to £9.50 an hour from £8.91.

The rise means a full-time worker will get £1,074 extra a year before tax.

The 6.6% increase in the minimum pay rate for those aged over 23 – known as the National Living Wage – is more than twice the current 3.1% rise in the cost of living.

Minimum pay rates for younger workers are also set to go up.

Minimum wage increases from 1 April 2022:

  • National Living Wage for over-23s: From £8.91 to £9.50 an hour

  • National Minimum Wage for those aged 21-22: From £8.36 to £9.18

  • National Minimum Wage for 18 to 20-year-olds: From £6.56 to £6.83

  • National Minimum Wage for under-18s: From £4.62 to £4.81

  • The Apprentice Rate: From £4.30 to £4.81

What to do if you are not paid the increased minimum wage from 1 April

If your employer has not paid you in line with the increased minimum wage, you can try raising the issue with your employer. If there has been a simple mistake, an informal chat can be the quickest way to resolve the issue.

If a minimum wage issue cannot be resolved informally, you can raise a grievance to your employer, who must then conduct an investigation and provide a formal response.

If the issue remains unresolved after the grievance procedure, you can make a claim to an employment tribunal.

How much money you can claim will depend on the type of claim you make. For example, if you make a claim for ‘unlawful deduction of wages’, you can claim for money owed going back a maximum of 2 years.

Your claim must be started within 3 months of your most recent deduction or underpayment.

To make a claim to an employment tribunal you must first notify Acas, who will then invite you and your employer to engage with the ‘early conciliation’ process.

What to do if you’ve been treated unfairly because of minimum wage

Your employer should not dismiss you or treat you unfairly (cause you ‘detriment’) if you:

  • become entitled to a higher rate of the minimum wage

  • assert your right to minimum wage

  • make a complaint to HMRC

Detriment means unfair treatment that leaves you worse off, for example:

  • reducing your hours

  • overlooking you for promotions or development opportunities

  • saying no to your training requests without good reason

If you feel you’ve experienced a detriment or been dismissed because of minimum wage entitlement, you might be able to make a claim to an employment tribunal.

If you require advice and/or assistance about the increases to the national living wage, contracts of employment; grievances or Employment Tribunal representation please contact us on 0845 287 0939 or send your enquiry by email.