It is estimated that as a nation we spend an average of 90,000 hours of our lives at work.

Unfortunately within that time many people are involved in an accident through no fault of their own. Accidents at work can be as a result of slips/trips, using defective machinery, incompetent employees etc. These accidents may have a devastating impact on your life and cause you to not only sustain injury but suffer financial losses too. If this is the case, you may be entitled to compensation.

Some people feel uncomfortable about making a claim against their employer but they shouldn’t. All employers are required to have a valid insurance to cover the cost of any claims made against them. Therefore, if you are successful in your claim for compensation, your employer’s insurance company will pay out, not the employers themselves.

Whether you are a full or part time, permanent or temporary employee, the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 ensures that all employees are protected by the same health and safety regulations at work. If your employer has not upheld their duty to safeguard you at work and you have sustained an injury, you may be able to claim.

What do I do if I have had an accident at work?

If you are involved in an accident at work, you should firstly report the accident to your employer as soon as possible and ensure that it is formally noted down, for example in an Accident Book. If there is no Accident Book you should put the details of the accident in writing to your employers and keep a copy of this for yourself too.

You should ensure you attend the hospital or your GP. It is important to see a medical professional to not only ensure your injuries are treated as soon as possible but also to have a medical record of the injuries.

You should also keep a diary/notes which reflect any financial losses you have incurred as a result of the accident. This can include: loss of earnings, travel and parking expenses going to and from the hospital/GP, medication expenses, medical treatment such as physiotherapy, etc.

Lastly, if you wish to make a claim you should seek legal advice from personal injury specialists. Remember, it is your choice who you choose to represent you. You should not feel obliged to use a solicitor nominated for you by an insurance company or by your Trade Union.

At Farleys, we operate the majority of our cases on a ‘No Win No Fee’ agreement.

If you or a friend/family member has been injured in an accident at work and it wasn’t your fault, contact one of our experienced team for a no obligation assessment of your case. Call 0845 287 0939 or complete our online contact form and a member of our team will get in touch with you.