Request a callback
Abuse Claims Farleys Solicitors LLP
Abuse Claims Farleys Solicitors LLP

Farleys secure substantial compensation for victim of Social Services negligence


Client S instructed Kelly Darlington of Farleys Solicitors following sexual abuse suffered during childhood.

As a child, S’s family were known to Social Services. In 2002, the Claimant was placed with her grandparents and Interim Care Orders were obtained by the Local Authority. The Claimant subsequently was sexually abused in this placement over approximately a four-year period between the ages of 8-12 years. The abuser had a history of sexual offences and was a clear risk.

How Farleys’ abuse law experts helped

Farleys obtained and reviewed the Claimant’s Social Services records which confirmed that from 2002, the Defendant had assumed a responsibility for the welfare of the Claimant and owed a duty of care.

Our team obtained detailed medical evidence from a specialist psychiatrist. The Claimant suffered from depression and anxiety, had a diagnosis of drug psychosis and had a history of self-harm. We also obtained an expert report detailing the impact of the permanent scarring the Claimant is left with as a result of the self-harm.

We argued that not only should the Claimant be entitled to an award for her injury from 2002 onwards but that she should also receive compensation for the impact the abuse had on her education and subsequent employability, as she suffered abuse at a crucial time in her education.

Farleys acted on behalf of Client S for over 6 years. The Local Authority admitted a breach of duty from 2002 on the basis of the date that the authority had assumed responsibility when she was placed with her grandparents, however, denied causation.

Successful settlement

Following a considerable amount of work in reviewing relevant records and obtaining expert reports, initially an offer of £80,000 was put forward. Following further negotiation, the Defendants were prepared to increase and settled the claim for a payment to Client S of £90,000 in relation to failings during her childhood.

Speak to our expert team

If you have been failed by social services, either in a recent case or in the past, our expert solicitors may be able to help you to pursue a compensation claim. To speak to a solicitor who specialises in claims against social services, call 0330 134 6430, or alternatively, you can email us. All enquiries are treated with the strictest confidence.

Get in touch

Request a Call Back

Call us now on:

01254 606008

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis