England and Wales has recently experienced a significant rise in both sexual offences and violent crimes. According to figures released by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) they report more instances of knife crime and robbery over the past 12 months;  this is despite the fact that offences involving a knife or sharp object were seen to fall from 2011 onwards before rising again in 2014.

The data received by ONS provided by 44 county police forces show increases as follows:

  • Robbery up 29%
  • Sex offences up 23%
  • Knife crime up 21%
  • Violent crime up 20%

Many victims of the type of crimes referred to above are often unaware that they may be able to make a claim for injuries sustained as a result of the offence.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government funded scheme that provides victims with the opportunity to secure compensation helping them to move forward with their life.

If you have been a victim of violent crime or sexual offence and have sustained a physical or psychological injury then you may be eligible to pursue a personal injury claim.

These types of claim are subject to certain rules and guidelines with the eligibility of individual award being dependant upon the circumstances of each case.

We always recommend that victims consult with an experienced solicitor in order to seek vital and specialist advice with a view to securing an appropriate level of compensation.

Whether you or someone you know is considering making a claim for injuries sustained as a result of a criminal offence committed against them, or perhaps a CICA claim has previously been submitted and then subsequently rejected, we urge you to make contact with us by calling our dedicated CICA / Abuse Team on 0330 134 6430 or alternatively, by emailing me at paul.corrignan@farleys.com for initial  free, independent and specialist advice.