You may not ever have heard of it before but the Motor Insurers Bureau is an organisation that you may one day have to call upon. Established as a not for profit organisation some 70 years ago, the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) helps victims of negligent drivers, particularly those that are involved in accidents involving uninsured or ‘hit and run’ drivers. Here are 4 commonly asked questions and answers about the Motor Insurers Bureau.

Under what circumstances can I claim via the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau)?

The main circumstances under which you can make a claim via the Motor Insurers Bureau are when the other driver involved in a collision was either uninsured or cannot be traced (‘hit and run’). It is worth noting that you do not necessarily have to have been driving to be able to claim under the provisions of the MIB, injured passengers and pedestrians may also be able to claim compensation.

What does the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau) pay compensation for?

If you have suffered an injury in a road traffic accident and need to claim via the Motor Insurers Bureau, you can expect to receive compensation for both bodily injury and damage to your property. The amount you can claim for bodily injury will be dictated by compensation guidelines, but is potentially unlimited, depending on the severity of the injuries sustained.

How is the MIB funded?

Under law, all UK insurers who provide car insurance must be members of, and contribute to, the scheme. This ensures that there are enough funds held by the organisation to make compensation payouts to injured parties as necessary.

How can I start a claim against the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau)?

Making a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau can be a complicated process. As such, it is advisable to seek advice from a solicitor who is experienced in handling these sorts of claims. A solicitor will be able to make any necessary investigations on your behalf, along with completing all of the paperwork and communications with the MIB regarding your claim.

Being involved in a car accident can be traumatic and this can be further compounded if the other driver is either untraceable or was not insured. However, it is possible to seek redress and the expert personal injury solicitors at Farleys can help. For further information or to talk to us about making a claim, please contact us here.