Inquest into death of David Stacey to raise questions about response of police and mental health services

Before HM Assistant Coroner Diane Hocking     
Leicester City and South Leicestershire Coroners Court

Town Hall, Leicester, LE1 9BG
Opens 10 December expected to last 5 days

David Stacey, 67, from Leicester died on Monday 27 November 2017 following a road traffic accident. The previous day, David had contact with Leicestershire police and Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust due to concerns for his mental health.

The evening before his death, David began experiencing hallucinations. Neighbours called Leicestershire police who attended and requested a mental health team from Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust.  Mental health professionals saw David but left him at home alone when they were unable to carry out a mental health assessment. The following morning, David was involved in car accident on the A4304.

David’s family hope the inquest will address:

  • Communication and engagement between the mental health professionals and the police;

  • Whether David ought to have been transferred to hospital under compulsory admission under the Mental Health Act 1983;

  • Issues surrounding funding and the availability of beds once someone meets the criteria for section and transfer to hospital;

Helen Robson, David’s cousin said: “My main concern surrounding my cousin’s death is why the decision was made for him to be left on his own when he clearly had mental ill health and was experiencing hallucinations. I am also concerned that none of David’s family or close friends were contacted to support him at this time.”

Natasha Thompson, INQUEST Caseworker for the family said: “As the publication Mental Health Act review brings focus to widespread issues in the care and treatment of those with mental ill health, we hope this inquest will give David’s family the answers they need about why he wasn’t better protected by police and mental health professionals.”

Kelly Darlington of Farleys Solicitors said: “This is a very tragic death that could have been prevented. David was in crisis and a risk to himself. He ought to have been transferred to hospital to ensure he was safe and so that he could receive the appropriate treatment. There are wider issues as to the availability of beds for people requiring compulsory admission to hospital that will be explored at this inquest.”

This press release originally appeared on Inquest.