Lancashire Constabulary has this week released a shocking statistic that more than two children per week are at risk of being abducted or sexually exploited here in Lancashire.

Police Officers in our region issued a startling 140 child abduction notices to adults who were believed to be forming inappropriate relationships with children. These notices were issued over a twelve month period between March 2014 and April 2015. A Child Abduction Warning Notice is used to disrupt an adult’s association with a young person or child. The notice warns an adult that they have no permission to associate, contact or communicate with the young person, and that if they continue to do so then they may be arrested and charged with child abduction. Clearly issuing a notice of this kind is a decision not taken lightly by the Police.

A spokesperson for the Police has stated that the notices are issued if there is previous intelligence to suggest that the adult in question has a sexual interest in children. This information can be collated from a number of sources including sexual health services for young people. Historically, it can be difficult to deter a child from spending time with an adult (especially if this adult is giving the child lots of attention) and issuing notices of this kind will surely go a considerable way in enforcing the pro-active approach that Lancashire Constabulary are trying to take in tackling the issue of child sexual abuse and exploitation in our region.

Team work is vital in adopting this pro-active approach. Local organisations, such as the SAFE Centre (part of the Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) are working closely with safeguarding teams and the Police to share information and put measures in place to protect those children who are vulnerable.

Here at Farleys we have a specialist team of solicitors who can advise and assist you on claims arising from abuse. We have an enviable record in successfully pursuing Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims as well as claims against individuals and establishments/local authorities. For free initial advice, please contact us here.