Most of us are aware of asbestos and the devastating effects it can have on individuals affected by the material. It’s thought that there are still one million homes and 75 percent of schools in the UK that contain asbestos, so with figures so high it’s important that we remain asbestos aware.
The effects of exposure to asbestos take decades to manifest and asbestos related diseases and respiratory ailments are responsible for 100 times more deaths in the workplace than accidents. Mesothelioma is a type of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. Patients who were wrongfully exposed to asbestos whilst in employment can seek compensation for it.
Here are 5 things you should know about asbestos compensation claims:
- Mesothelioma is a serious, rare and fatal form of cancer that requires lengthy and expensive treatment. Patients diagnosed with this form of cancer should seek legal help to gain compensation to protect themselves and their loved ones financially.
- For a claim to be successful a patient (or relative) must have obtained proof that asbestos exposure occurred whilst working for an employer and that the company failed to follow safety standards required by law.
- Mesothelioma claims are dealt with by the court in a different process which was designed to speed up the system. If the employer decides to try and reach a settlement it can usually be reached within a year of filing, many employers would try to do so to ensure the company isn’t risking a loss or paying more fees than necessary by waiting for a verdict.
- Damages for exposure to illness as a result of exposure to asbestos vary enormously depending upon the illness that the victim has been diagnosed with. An exact amount is hard to determine as there are many factors to be considered such as; Medical expenses, lost income, physical and mental suffering, funeral expenses, care and assistance and out of pocket financial losses
- It is not just a patient who can make an asbestos claim; relatives of individuals who have died from asbestos claims can also do so.
To speak to one of our solicitors about making a no win no fee Asbestos claim, contact us here. We are happy to discuss the circumstances of your claim without charge.
Contact Us TodayWe're here to help.
Call us on 0845 050 1958